The Egyptian Government is still blocking a large number of websites and online services like Skype, Facebook Messenger, FaceTime, and WhatsApp. This censorship has been enforced by all of the internet service providers in Egypt, including TE Data, Orange, Etisalat, and Vodafone — even VPN advertising services have been outlawed.
I have tested over 25 VPN services in order to find the best VPNs for avoiding censorship in Egypt, as well as for getting an Egyptian IP address should you need one.
For use both in and out of Egypt, one VPN service out-performed the rest in terms of overall security and superior unblocking abilities: ExpressVPN.
Short on time? Here’s a quick list of the best VPNs for Egypt:
- ExpressVPN — Top pick for combating censorship. Its military-grade Trusted Servers, both inside and outside of Egypt, ensure you stay anonymous while browsing the web.
- NordVPN — Runner-up featuring Double VPN encryption technology (compatible with TOR) and high-speed, streaming-optimized obfuscated servers.
- Surfshark — Whether “techie” or not, this easy-to-use VPN service easily masks user identity through the use of multiple-server connections and a handy Camouflage Mode to hide VPN traffic.
- CyberGhost — Protects both user and hardware, featuring built-in adware, malware, tracker blocker technology, and DNS leak protection that prevents the user’s browsing activity from being exposed to the ISP.
- Private Internet Access — Features state-of-the-art encryption combined with an automatic kill-switch to ensure you stay one step ahead of the game — a great choice for any torrent enthusiasts.
Our Research Methodology | FAQs
Start Using A VPN In Egypt Today!
The Best VPNs for Egypt — Full Analysis (Updated December 2020)
Still don’t think a VPN is that important? If you’re within the borders of Egypt right now, go online and try to access Skype, Facebook Messenger, or WhatsApp — good luck. Conversely, what if you’re out of the country (on business or vacation) and need access to blocked streaming sites or e-banking services?
Out of the 25 VPNs that I tested (both inside and outside of Egypt), five stood out from the rest in terms of their ability to bypass censorship and GEO-restrictions and protect user privacy and security — trust me, I spent weeks testing leak protection and analyzing privacy policies.
1. ExpressVPN — Best overall VPN For Egypt
- Over 3,000 servers, world-wide, including Egypt
- Perfect forward secrecy and TrustedServer technology
- Unlimited data and bandwidth
- Can unblock Skype, Facebook Messenger, FaceTime, WhatsApp and other geo-blocked services
- Works with: Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, BBC iPlayer, Hulu, Vudu, HBO GO, Disney+
- Can unblock Wavo and StarzPlay Arabia while out of country
- Compatible with: macOS, Windows, Linux, iOS, Android, browsers, routers
- 24/7 live chat
- Split tunneling
There are a lot of reasons why ExpressVPN is my number one choice — the question isn’t “What can ExpressVPN do; it’s what can’t ExpressVPN do?”
With ExpressVPN, you can relax knowing that your business remains just that — your business. Using only the highest level of encryption, all of your internet traffic remains camouflaged meaning that information-deciphering is virtually impossible. Let’s put it in simpler terms: every time you connect to ExpressVPN, for any session that lasts 60 minutes or longer, a new encryption key is added.
I really like their automatic kill-switch that protects all of your sensitives, including your true IP address should you accidentally become disconnected; however, the best part is that ExpressVPN follows a strict, zero-logs policy: every server is wiped clean after every use.
If you’re still feeling a little unsure security-wise, you can even hide your subscription by paying with Bitcoin.
Anonymously surfing the web in Egypt at high speeds has never been so easy, thanks to 3,000+ servers available to connect to (all with unlimited data and bandwidth), regardless of whether you use a macOS, Windows, Linux, iOS, or Android device.
Use more than one device? No problem — ExpressVPN allows you to split your subscription between 5 different consoles.
Equipped with a split-tunneling feature that allows you to divide traffic between your VPN and Egyptian IP address, ExpressVPN enables you to access international content without losing access to local services.
Every subscription comes with 24/7 live chat support, complete with troubleshooting, instructional, and video tutorials. The best part you ask? ExpressVPN comes with a 30-day, money-back guarantee, should you somehow find yourself unsatisfied.
Try ExpressVPN Today!
2. NordVPN — Best Balance of Price and Performance
- 5,510+ servers in 58 countries
- Great Balance of Price and Performance
- Advanced encryption and a no-logging policy
- Cybersec security software, Double VPN, and obfuscated servers
- Compatible with: iOS, macOS, Android, Windows, Linux, routers, and browser extensions
- Works with: Netflix US, Amazon Prime Video, BBC iPlayer, Hulu, Vudu, HBO GO, Disney+
- 6 simultaneous connections
- 30-day money-back guarantee
NordVPN is our runner-up for its unparalleled speed combined with a handy Smartplay DNS feature that allows you to sneak around any streaming and torrenting restrictions Egypt has in place.
To provide the user with increased invisibility, NordVPN makes use of obfuscated servers, specially designed for web-browsing in countries with strict censorship, including Egypt.
If you love torrent sites like The Pirate Bay, then you’re going to love the speed of NordVPN’s torrent optimized servers. In fact, there’s a good chance you may even see an increase in your browsing speed.
If your personal anonymity is the main feature you’re looking for in a VPN service, then your quest is over. Aside from being high-speed, NordVPN shields its users with kryptonite encryption, including an automatic kill-switch, DNS leak protection, and one of the strictest no-logs policies this side of the Nile — no matter what, your IP address and online activity will never be stored.
Similar to ExpressVPN but even better, NordVPN allows for unlimited browsing between a whopping 6 devices including iOS, macOS, Android, Windows, and Linux.
Hate online ads? Then you’re really going to enjoy their CyberSec security software that blocks ads, trackers, malware, and phishing attempts — with NordVPN, your devices remain virus-free.
A subscription to NordVPN also comes with 24/7 customer support and a 30-day money-back guarantee making it a risk-free purchase.
Try NordVPN Today!
3. Surfshark — Most User-Friendly VPN
- Over 1,700 servers in 63 countries, including Egypt and surrounding nations
- MultiHop for added privacy
- Camouflage Mode
- Split tunneling
- Unlimited device connections
- Compatible with: Windows, macOS, Android, iOS (in Arabic), Linux, browsers, routers
- 30-day money-back guarantee
When it comes to bypassing Egyptian censorship with simplicity, Surfshark takes the cake. On top of its user-friendliness, Surfshark is also one of the cheapest VPNs available and, like the other VPN services included on my list, features a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee.
Surfshark comes equipped with a NoBorders Mode, specially designed for use in regions with strict internet controls — the perfect way for getting around Egyptian censorship while remaining undetected and anonymous.
Aside from being a low-price option, Surfshark takes user security and privacy seriously. A MultiHop Mode ensures your anonymity by routing all of your internet traffic through multiple servers, and a Camouflage Mode prevents your Egyptian ISP from even detecting that you’re using a VPN.
If that’s not enough, Surfshark comes equipped with AES 256-bit encryption, an automatic kill-switch, and a strict no-logs policy.
Are you a normal person who loves watching content but despises the constant interruption of ads and pop-ups? With a click of the mouse, simply turn on the CleanWeb feature to block malware, phishing attempts, ads, and tracking.
Surfshark is powerful enough to unblock major streaming providers such as Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Hulu, HBO GO, Disney, and more. Unlike other VPN services that limit the number of devices you can connect to, Surfshark allows for unlimited coverage — install it on as many devices as you wish with just one subscription.
Surfshark offers 24/7 customer support so if you have any questions, just shoot them a message — they’re always quick to respond.
Try Surfshark Today!
4. CyberGhost — Best VPN for Streaming
- 6,700+ servers in 89 countries, including 28 servers located in the heart of Cairo
- Streaming and torrenting-optimized servers
- Built-in ad, malware, and tracking blockers
- Allows for 7 simultaneous connections
- 45-day money-back guarantee
- Compatible with: Android, iOS, macOS, Linux, Windows, browser extensions, routers
CyberGhost is yet another user-friendly VPN service for streaming blocked and censored content within the borders of Egypt.
Boasting over 6,700 servers (28 located in Cairo alone), CyberGhost is both incredibly fast when it comes to streaming content and highly effective when it comes to unblocking censored content.
I really like how CyberGhost’s servers are labeled based on which streaming providers they provide access to best. This way, you don’t have to switch between servers, searching for the best fit. Of course, as it is my top choice for streaming and torrenting, CyberGhost is equipped with P2P-optimized servers.
CyberGhost also makes use of 256-bit AES encryption, a built-in kill-switch, and leak protection software that ensure your privacy remains secure at all times. On top of that, a no-logs policy is firmly in place, preventing the storing or selling of any identity-revealing information.
With one subscription, CyberGhost allows you to easily install their software on up to 7 devices, ensuring your identity remains protected no matter how you choose to browse the web in Egypt. Oh, I almost forgot to mention, CyberGhost also features built-in ad, tracking, and malware-blocking technology.
Unlike the other VPN services on my list that include a 30-day money-back guarantee, CyberGhost offers a 45-day money-back guarantee. Take your time, try it for free and if you’re not satisfied, simply cancel your subscription and receive a full refund.
Should you experience any difficulties getting started, contact their 24/7 live chat support or access their online troubleshooting guides.
Try CyberGhost Today!
5. Private Internet Access — Best VPN For Torrenting
- 19,600 servers in 76 countries, including Egypt
- Unlimited bandwidth and data
- High speed
- Built-in adware, malware, and tracking blocker
- 256-bit encryption and a no-logs policy
- 10 simultaneous connections
- Compatible with: iOS, Android, Windows, macOS, Linux, routers, browsers
Although it’s not as popular as the other leading VPN providers, when it comes to accessing censored material in Egypt, Private Internet Access checks all of the boxes in terms of security, speed, and confidentiality.
If you prefer torrenting to streaming, then this VPN service is for you. Featuring first-class encryption, an automatic kill-switch, a strict no-logs policy, and DNS, IPv6, and email leak protection, Private Internet Access combines speed with privacy when downloading your favorite torrents — the split-tunneling feature alone is enough to throw anyone off your trail.
Private Internet Access killed every speed test I threw its way, ensuring that it’s a stable option for gaming and video-calling, too.
Again, Private Internet Access is equipped with built-in adware, malware, and tracking blocking technology that provides you with unlimited, uninterrupted browsing.
Enjoy Private Internet Access on up to 10 separate devices — all under one subscription. Although I found the 24/7 live chat support to be a little slow, their website is chock-full of useful troubleshooting information. Private Internet Access is another risk-free VPN service, offering a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Try Private Internet Access Today!
How To Unblock Websites In Egypt Using A VPN
- Choose a VPN service that has servers both in and outside of Egypt. For this, I recommend my top-choice, ExpressVPN. This will allow you to unblock local and international websites/services, including Wavo, StarzPlay Arabia, Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and many more.
- Install the VPN application and connect to a server in your target location.
- That’s it — you’re now fully protected and your desired websites/services have been unblocked.
How We Tested The Best VPNs For Egypt
In order to gain access to all of the censored content that your heart desires, a VPN suitable for use both within and outside of Egyptian borders must be a cocktail containing equal parts security, speed, and reliability. Luckily for you (the reader), I spent a couple of months rigorously putting each VPN service to the test. Here’s what I looked at:
- State-of-the-art encryption: Privacy should be your ultimate concern when browsing restricted content in Egypt. Thankfully, user security is something that every VPN service on my list takes seriously. All are equipped with industry-leading 256-bit AES encryption making it virtually impossible for your true identity to be revealed.
- Kill switch: Not only does it sound badass, it also scrambles your web traffic, preventing any leaks should your VPN connection drop.
- No-logs policy: This feature shields your identity so well, it’s almost as if you were never there. Every server is literally wiped clean after use — a perfect feature for anyone wanting to remain anonymous in Egypt.
- Worldwide server network: The more servers there are peppered across the globe, the more access you’ll have to geo-blocked sites and content. In other words, the more servers a VPN has access to, the less likely it is that a website will detect you.
- Servers in or near Egypt: This means access to local content with speed and anonymity. The closer the server, the higher the speed and the stronger the connection — all of the VPN services on my list have servers located within Egypt.
- High speed: If you’re into gaming, torrenting, or streaming then speed is going to be a top priority for you. High speed equals less buffering, lagging, and poor image/video quality.
- Ability to bypass geoblocks: All of the VPNs that made my list can bypass geoblocks. This ability grants you access to all of the sites the Egyptian government has banned. The ability to bypass geoblocks is the final key to unlocking true freedom on the Egyptian web.
What You Need To Know About Using A VPN In Egypt
Although VPNs are legal in Egypt, many of their servers, websites, and advertisements have been blocked. For this reason, I found that it was better — and sometimes completely necessary — to download a VPN service outside of Egyptian borders.
Recently, the Egyptian government passed a law, ordering ISPs to block hundreds of websites, blogs, and news sites.
A VPN service is the only way to gain access to this blocked material while protecting your identity at the same time. To date, there are no laws in place, banning the use of VPNs in Egypt.
? Can I use a free VPN service for Egypt?
Although there are plenty of free VPN services available, they’re not going to do you any good within the borders of Egypt — trust me, I tried.
Many free VPNs monitor and track their users, collecting and selling data to advertisers and third-parties. If the laws were to change overnight in Egypt, a free VPN service is the last provider you would want to be associated with.
Free VPN services are also notorious for online queues, so get used to waiting until the provider gives you the green light to connect.
Most importantly, if you do need an IP address from Egypt, there are no free VPNs providers that offer servers within Egypt — you’ll need to upgrade for that.
? Can I get an Egyptian IP address with a VPN?
Absolutely! When subscribed to one of the above VPN services, all you have to do is connect to a server located in Egypt and immediately your true location will be masked — You could be sitting in rainy London but your traffic says you’re in sunny Cairo.
With an Egyptian IP address, from anywhere in the world, you’ll have access to websites that are typically restricted within the borders of Egypt, including Nile TV International, exclusive documentaries and tv shows with Arabic dubbing and subtitles, and more.
? Should I leave my VPN on all of the time while I am in Egypt?
As there are strict censorship laws in Egypt, I would recommend leaving it on at all times. It’s not 100% necessary, but it’s better than forgetting to turn it on, exposing your IP address when browsing the web. Thankfully, most of the VPNs on this list will automatically connect you to a server the minute you power up your device.
The Bottom Line
Government surveillance is a growing concern in Egypt. Independent news outlets, VPN and proxy services, human rights-related websites, and social media platforms are just some of the countless websites that have been suppressed by the boots of the Egyptian government.
Social video sites like YouTube and others can, and have been blocked in the past for violating censorship laws — one day they are accessible, then next they’re not. Although Netflix is available in Egypt, the content is often limited to only that which falls in line with local tastes and religious beliefs making it almost unrecognizable compared to American Netflix.
In short, if you want to gain access to blocked material both in and outside of Egypt, you need a VPN. In Egypt, in order to bypass geoblocks and remain undetected by your ISP, the VPN service that you choose needs to be secure, quick, and reliable. Of the 25 VPN services that I tested, the above five were the only VPNs to withstand my rigorous testing criteria.
Although your security and privacy will remain intact with any one of the five VPN services listed, one stands apart from the rest: ExpressVPN. When it comes to security, speed, and reliability, Express VPN is the Holy Grail for use in Egypt.
To summarize, The best VPNs for Egypt in 2020 are…
Private Internet Access
Private Internet Access
Original source: https://www.vpnmentor.com/blog/best-vpns-for-egypt-fast-and-secure/